There are many kinds of ways to put babies to sleep and all involve consistent practice from the mother. Exercising a baby’s sleep is also called sleep training, sleep teaching, or sleep learning; This is a process to help babies learn how to sleep well. Of course there is no one way to sleep the most effective baby so that your baby sleeps through the night. There are many ways to put your baby to sleep and try to prove effective, one of which is training the baby to sleep alone.
The benefits of sleep training for babies are quite important. Not only are family members at home so they can rest well, sleep is also important for the baby’s development. The period of infant brain development depends on how to put the baby to sleep properly. Have you been the right way all this time?
Practicing baby sleep is not a necessity for every parent and many families go through this stage because babies learn to sleep through the night by themselves. Experts emphasize that the best way to put a baby to sleep is the most suitable method for the family.
Do you adopt a method of putting your baby to sleep by letting your baby cry overnight or the cry it out method ? Does this method of putting your baby to sleep make you feel uncomfortable? If so, then you are not alone. Research shows as many as 71% of parents do not choose or continue to practice sleeping babies, because of the stress caused by both parents and babies.
How To Efficiently Educate A Baby to sleep?
How do you know the right time to practice sleeping your baby? Most babies are ready to be trained to sleep at the age of 4 to 6 months. Although some pediatricians state that babies are ready to practice sleep when they reach a certain weight.
There is no right time or age to start practicing baby sleep. Although the age of 4 months seems like the right time to start practicing baby’s sleep, experts emphasize that Mother has not been left behind if she hasn’t trained baby to sleep until she is 10 months, one year, or more.
How to train baby to sleep
There are many theories about training babies to sleep. Some methods are “gentle sleep training” which generally means the mother still uses the method of putting the baby to sleep by holding and calming the little one when he cries. Another method asks parents to let the baby calm down throughout the night and not open the door until morning. There is no right or wrong way to put the baby to sleep, it all depends on what works best for you and your family.
All baby sleep training methods have pros and cons, so it’s important to know which one is the most appropriate for you.
Steps to train baby to sleep
You don’t need to apply the cry it out method as a way to put your baby to sleep if it makes you stressed. There are several important points in order to be successful in practicing baby sleep:
- Make sleep a priority Why do you need to worry about baby sleep habits? Of course, how to put the baby to sleep properly or make the baby train himself to sleep is very important. Because sleep is not just a matter of closing your eyes, but the way your brain develops and gives you time to rest. Remember, the human brain works when sleeping. There is a relationship between babies often awake and postpartum depression in mothers as well as obesity and behavior problems in children.Children who do not get enough REM sleep have a shorter attention span. This baby also releases more stress hormone cortisol, so that he wakes up more often and his nap is also interrupted.
- Ask the doctor for advice Before starting any baby sleep training method, start by talking to the pediatrician. Discuss medical conditions such as reflux , sleep apnea , and allergies . Also think about how often the baby suckles and sleeps within 24 hours. Next, involve your partner. Make a joint plan, decide how you will react when the baby wakes up. If your 10-month-old baby feeds 6 times at night, you both must agree that you will only feed him once before going to sleep, and not again until tomorrow morning. Explain to your husband the purpose of training your baby’s sleep as the most optimal way to put the baby to sleep, so that the husband does not consider you to be cruel.
- Notes about baby sleep If you can’t remember how many times your baby woke up last night or how he slept last week, the notes will help you find out the pattern. After a week of recording the day and night the baby is passing through, start to find out the ideal sleep time. For example, Mother will realize that she is always fussy at 7 pm, maybe it’s time for her to sleep. The record makes you see the baby crying at night, not as long as you think. Fussy babies for 5 minutes can feel like 50 minutes when it happens at 2 o’clock in the morning. By observing your child’s sleeping habits, you can find the most appropriate way to put your baby to sleep.
- Create a routine Perform a routine before going to bed for 15 minutes to calm the baby which will make the baby’s mind and body ready for sleep. Stay close to his bed and choose two or three quiet activities like reading or singing. Be sure to stay away from TV or activities that can stimulate the baby. For babies over 6 months of age, include stuffed toys or blankets in their routine. Keeping children away from distractions such as TV noise, videos on YouTube, or singing dolls is a smart way to put a baby to sleep.
- Choose a date to start exercising your baby There is no right time to start practicing baby sleep. But it’s best to start when you have at least 3 weeks without changing the time zone or changes in the crib, especially if the baby is sensitive enough. The most popular day to start practicing baby sleep is Friday because it is near the weekend. Some parents use the day off so they don’t have to worry about leaving for work in the morning. And remember, mothers are more likely to succeed if the baby is napping well.
- Prepare the room The right environment becomes very important when training babies to sleep. Keep the room cool and comfortable. If the room is too bright and the baby has trouble sleeping and is easily awakened, use a dim light.
- Put the baby when he is still awake Make a bedtime routine with the lights on, then place the baby in bed when he is sleepy but still awake. He is likely to cry especially if he is accustomed to falling asleep in her arms. On the first 3 nights, sit in a chair next to her bed, rubbing the baby’s back. If he becomes hysterical, Mother can lift him up, return them after he has calmed down. Stay by his side until he sleeps soundly. Respond in the same way when he wakes up in the middle of the night. Keeping the baby warm in your presence makes the baby feel safe and is an efficient way to put the baby to sleep. No need to be hugged constantly, give a little distance so that he began to dare to sleep alone without losing the sense of security left by Mother.
- Move the chair Use the same method of putting your baby to sleep and move the chair away from the crib every three nights. Wait until Mom is outside the room and invisible to the baby. If you stay seated in the same area for more than a few days, the baby will become accustomed to your presence.In a few weeks, Mother can put the baby down when he is sleepy. And babies can quickly get themselves back to sleep when awake at night.
- Stay consistent One of the biggest mistakes parents make, by any method is inconsistency. At one time, the baby will cry in the middle of the night even though Mother has run all the theories explained related to how to put the baby to sleep. Go to the crib, check the baby’s condition, and make sure all is well. After that, if you can, try to calm him from outside the door.